Tisdale House rolls to new address tonight; what you need to know
NEW BERN, N.C. (WITN) -The owner of a historic property in the east says the home is moving to its new spot tonight.
Daniel Tower is the new owner of the old Tisdale House in New Bern. He says the Tisedale House has “left its foundation and rolls at 7:30 p.m.” to its new address.
Tower plans to relocate the home, which dates back to 1905-1908, to the corner of Rhem Avenue and First Street and make it his personal residence.
New Bern gave the historic home away with the condition that the new owner pays to have it moved. The city will build a new recreation center at its current location.
Tower says he has a background in restoring historic houses, spending several years doing historic renovations on homes in Raleigh.
- 300-400 blocks of First Street
- 1200 block of Pollock Street
- 1300 block of Trent Boulevard
- 1300 block of Rhem Avenue
The city says sidewalks and rights-of-way along the route will be closed due to safety precautions. For who would like to watch the house as it journeys southwest, parking is recommended at:
- 1402 Trent Boulevard (Ft. Totten Park)
- 925 Queen Street (the old Days Inn, accessible from the 900 block of Pollock Street)
- 1309 Country Club Road (Lawson Creek Park)
- On-street parking on Spencer Avenue
Pedestrians and media can gather at the following locations to capture the event:
- 303 First Street (the City’s Human Resources & Development Services office)
- 1301 Broad Street (the empty lot adjacent to New Bern Fire-Rescue Headquarters)
Tower says they plan to make the home bilateral and extend the porch completely around the house.
Copyright 2023 WITN. All rights reserved.